Lead the SAFe transformation in your public organization
Making the transition to Lean-Agile practices in a government agency isn’t easily done. With the right information and strategies, you can show your organization the way and overcome issues of legacy governance, contracting and organizational barriers. Discover what the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe®) can do for government and become a SAFe Government Practitioner.
This two-day SAFe for Government course will teach you the principles and practices of the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe®). You will learn how to execute and release value through Agile Release Trains, and what it means to lead a Lean-Agile transformation of a program inside a government agency.
Gain an understanding of the Lean-Agile mindset and learn why it’s an essential foundation for transformation. You will also get practical advice on building high performing, multi-vendor Agile teams and programs, managing technology investments in Lean flow, acquiring solutions with Agile contracting, launching the program, and planning and delivering value using SAFe.
The SAFe for Government training teaches you what’s involved in a government Lean-Agile transformation. After taking the SAFe 5 Government Practitioner exam, you’ll certify as a SAFe Government Practitioner (SGP).
Our SAFe for Government courses are taught by one or two SPCs (SAFe Program Consultants). These inspiring trainers are consultants who are active in the field and have extensive SAFe experience in training and implementing SAFe at large organizations.
During this two-day course you will learn to:
- Transition government programs from traditional software and systems development models to Lean-Agile and DevOps mindset, principles, and practices using SAFe
- Adapt technology strategy, budgeting and forecasting, acquisition, compliance, and governance processes to flow-based practices using emerging government guidelines
- Organize government programs into one or more Agile Release Trains (ARTs) and execute in Program Increments (PIs)
- Explore Large Solution coordination in a government and multi-vendor environment
- Identify and internalize the mindset and leader behaviors essential to successful Lean-Agile transformation
- Follow success patterns for SAFe implementations adapted to the government context
- Build a preliminary outline of next steps to begin and/or accelerate the SAFe implementation in your program or agency
When you pass the SAFe 5 Government Practitioner exam, you’ll receive a SAFe® 5 Government Practitioner certificate, with a digital badge to promote your accomplishment online. A one-year certified membership as a SAFe® 5 Government Practitioner, which includes access to the SGP Community of Practice. Membership renewals are one year from the date certification is earned, and costs $100.
We’ll provide you with a SAFe Government Practitioner certification usage guide with SP certification marks as well as access to a variety of learning resources to support certified professionals during their SAFe journey.
Didn’t pass the exam? You can try again! Each new attempt comes with a fixed exam fee.
Get to know the basic principles of Scaling Agile within a few minutes!
Two-day training program
The SAFe for Government course is a two-day training program. Each course day starts at 9:00 and ends at 17:00 and includes a complimentary lunch and an afternoon break.
During the program, we’ll go into the following topics:
- Advancing Lean-Agile in government
- Embracing a Lean-Agile mindset
- Understanding SAFe principles
- Creating high-performing Agile teams and programs
- Planning with cadence and synchronization
- Delivering value in Program Increments
- Supporting program execution
- Mapping the path to agency and program agility
- Leading successful change
Everyone is welcome to attend the course, regardless of role or experience. Meeting the following prerequisites will make the training more productive:
- A foundational understanding of the Agile Manifesto, SAFe House of Lean, and SAFe Principles is required using pre-work suggestions;
- A foundational understanding of the full lifecycle of government technology programs is helpful;
- Registered attendees will receive a list of readings and videos specific to Agile in government that will be beneficial to review before the course.
After the training program, the trainer will send the participant’s details to the Scaled Academy (the accreditation organization). You’ll then receive three emails from the Scaled Academy:
- a welcome email that you can use to create your profile;
- a (mandatory) survey about the program where you can provide feedback;
- an email with a link to the exam, including instructions on how the exam works.
- Exam name – SAFe 5 Government Practitioner Exam
- Exam format – Multiple choice, Multiple select
- Exam delivery – Web-based (single browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed.
- Exam access – Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of the SAFe 5 Government course.
- Exam duration – Once the exam begins, candidates have 90 minutes (1.5 hours) to complete the exam.
- Number of questions – 45. Some questions are worth more points than others. For example: A question where you select 3 out of 4 options is worth more points than a true or false question.
- Passing score – 33 out of 45 (73% pass rate)
- Language – English
- Exam cost – The first attempt is included as part of the course registration fee, if the exam is taken within 30 days of course and completed before midnight on the last day. Each retake attempt costs $50.
- Retake policy – A second attempt on the exam (first retake) can be done immediately after the first attempt. The third attempt requires a 10-day wait. A fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions about the retake policy.
After the exam, your profile will automatically be updated when you’ve passed. The Scaled Agile Academy will inform you of this. You’ll then have access to the private online community and are able to make your profile public within the Scaled Agile community. Until that moment, only you have the privilege to see your certification.
Professional Development Units (PDUs) and Scrum Education Units (SEUs)
Attending this course means that you may be eligible to apply for 15 PDUs toward your continuing education requirements with the Project Management Institute (PMI) for PMP, PgMP, and PMI-ACP certifications.
You may also be eligible to apply for SEUs under Category C, toward earning or renewing your CSP through the Scrum Alliance.
Get your government agency on track for a Lean-Agile transformation. The SAFe for Government course is intended for for government leaders and advisors who can guide the decision to adopt SAFe within their agency or program.
After completing this training program you’ll be able understand and execute the steps necessary for a successful SAFe implementation in a government agency.
Course attendees typically include:
- Maximum number of participants:18
- Level:Awareness, Foundation, Advanced, Master
- Lunch included:Yes
- Payment methods:Invoice, iDEAL, CreditCard