TRANSITION GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS TO LEAN-AGILE
Transitioning to Lean-Agile practices for building technology-based capabilities is especially challenging in the government context. But issues of legacy governance, contracting, and organizational barriers can be overcome with the right information and strategies.
During this two-day course, you will learn the principles and practices of the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe®), how to execute and release value through Agile Release Trains, and what it means to lead a Lean-Agile transformation of a program inside a government agency. You will gain an understanding of the Lean-Agile mindset and why it’s an essential foundation for transformation. You will also get practical advice on building high performing, multi-vendor Agile teams and programs, managing technology investments in Lean flow, acquiring solutions with Agile contracting, launching the program, and planning and delivering value using SAFe.
GET TO KNOW THE BASIC PRINCIPLES OF SCALING AGILE WITHIN A FEW MINUTES!
During this three-day course you will learn how to:
- Transition government programs from traditional software and systems development models to Lean-Agile and DevOps mindset, principles, and practices using SAFe
- Adapt technology strategy, budgeting and forecasting, acquisition, compliance, and governance processes to flow-based practices using emerging government guidelines
- Organize government programs into one or more Agile Release Trains (ARTs) and execute in Program Increments (PIs)
- Explore Large Solution coordination in a government and multi-vendor environment
- Identify and internalize the mindset and leader behaviors essential to successful Lean-Agile transformation
- Follow success patterns for SAFe implementations adapted to the government context
- Build a preliminary outline of next steps to begin and/or accelerate the SAFe implementation in your program or agency
Attendees who pass the certification exam will receive:
- SAFe® 4 Government Practitioner certificate
- A SAFe® 4 Government Practitioner digital badge to promote your accomplishment online
- A one-year certified membership as a SAFe® 4 Government Practitioner, which includes access to the SGP Community of Practice
- Access to a variety of learning resources to support certified professionals during their SAFe journey
If you do not pass for the exam and want to try it again, each retake attempt costs $50.
TWO-DAY TRAINING PROGRAM
Each course day starts around 9:00 and ends at 17:00 hours, including lunch and intermission.
- Advancing Lean-Agile in government
- Embracing a Lean-Agile mindset
- Understanding SAFe principles
- Creating high-performing Agile teams and programs
- Planning with cadence and synchronization
- Supporting program execution
- Mapping the path to agency and program agility
- Leading successful change
All are welcome to attend the course, regardless of experience. However, meeting the following prerequisites will make the training more productive.
- A foundational understanding of the Agile Manifesto, SAFe House of Lean, and SAFe Principles is required using pre-work suggestions
- A foundational understanding the full lifecycle of government technology programs is helpful
- Registered attendees will receive a list of readings and videos specific to Agile in government that will be beneficial to review before the course
- Exam name: SAFe® 4 Government Practitioner Exam
- Exam format: Multiple choice; Multiple select
- Exam delivery: Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Exam access: Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of the SAFe® 4 Government course
- Exam duration: Once the exam begins, candidates have 90 minutes (1.5 hours) to complete the exam
- Number of questions – 45
- Passing score – 33 out of 45 (73%)
- Language – English
- Exam cost – First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50.
- Retake policy – Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any retake questions.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT UNITS (PDUS) AND SCRUM EDUCATION UNITS (SEUS)
- Attendees may be eligible to apply for 15 PDUs toward their continuing education requirements with the Project Management Institute (PMI) for PMP, PgMP, and PMI-ACP certifications
- Attendees may be eligible to apply for SEUs under Category C, toward earning or renewing their CSP through the Scrum Alliance.
Membership renewals are one year from the date certification is earned
• Renewal fee: $100
This course is designed for government leaders and influencers who can guide the decision to adopt SAFe within their agency or program. Examples include:
- Executives, directors, branch chiefs
- Managers of development, engineering, QA, architecture, operations, support
- Program and project managers
- Program/Project Management Office (PMO)
- Maximum number of participants:18
- Level:Awareness, Foundation, Advanced, Master
- Lunch included:Yes
- Payment methods:Invoice, iDEAL, CreditCard